By order of the governor- New Jersey is closed! Well that is what it seems like to me and the owners of the shops and stores that are now closed.
Executive order #104 states the following (per Governor Murphy’s website):
In order to slow the spread of COVID-19, Governor Murphy’s executive order directs:
- All gatherings of persons in the State of New Jersey shall be limited to 50 persons or fewer, with limited exceptions;
- All public, private, and parochial preschool programs, and elementary and secondary schools, including charter and renaissance schools, will be closed beginning on Wednesday, March 18, 2020, and remain closed as long as the Order remains in effect;
- Institutions of higher education will cease all in-person instruction beginning on Wednesday, March 18, 2020, and shall cease such in-person instruction as long as the Order remains in effect;
- The Commissioner of Education shall continue working with each public, private, and parochial school to ensure students are able to continue their education through appropriate home instruction
- The Secretary of Agriculture and the Commissioner of Education shall take all necessary actions to ensure all students eligible for free or reduced meals will continue to receive the services necessary to meet nutritional needs during closures;
- All casinos, concert venues, nightclubs, racetracks, gyms, fitness centers and classes, movie theaters, and performing arts centers will be closed to the public beginning on Monday, March 16, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. and remain closed as long as this Order remains in effect;
- All other non-essential retail, recreational, and entertainment businesses must cease daily operations from 8:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m.; and
- All restaurant establishments, with or without a liquor or limited brewery license, are limited to offering delivery and/or take out-services only.
The order will take effect immediately.
Then per Northjersey.com, “Gov. Phil Murphy ordered all malls and amusement parks closed Tuesday night in an expansion of his efforts to contain the coronavirus and said even more drastic steps, such as requiring residents to stay home, could be taken.”
What the governor is trying to do is prevent the spread of the coronavirus and yet we have been told that it is among us already. Phil this is like closing the barn door after all the animals have already left.
The governor sounds just like Chicken Little. He is metaphorically yelling “The Sky is Falling!” When in fact things are not as bad as he thinks they are. Take a look at what I wrote on Tuesday and you will see what I mean.
It is time for all to calm down, take a deep breath and reevaluate how to deal with this problem. To the public, stop being sheep who panic at every warning and our government officials must stop the doomsday rhetoric. We all must stay calm and by taking appropriate measures recommended by the CDC things will be alright. The world is not ending today, tomorrow or next week. So chill a little and appreciate the fact that you are alive.
That is my opinion- Jumpin Jersey Mike